- Iconic Suite of Content and Storytellers Provides Opportunities for Advertisers to Reach Engaged Consumers Across Platforms
- Innovative Solutions Include Premiere, Streaming, Advanced Advertising, Linear Addressable, Alternative Currencies and Shoppable Ads
Warner Bros. Discovery showcased its annual Upfront presentation to advertisers this morning at the Theater at Madison Square Garden, presenting its iconic collection of networks and titles across its sports, news, and lifestyle and entertainment brands. Unveiling a powerful, combined portfolio to marketers for the first time, Warner Bros. Discovery presented its newly unified organization with a message to audiences everywhere: Our Story Starts with You.
Hosted by David Zaslav, President and CEO, and Jon Steinlauf, Chief U.S. Advertising Sales Officer, the Upfront showcased Warner Bros. Discovery’s expansive content offerings and ability to drive demand for brands with bold advertising solutions.
Jennifer Hudson, host of the forthcoming Warner Bros. Unscripted TV daytime talk show, The Jennifer Hudson Show, kicked off the event with a spotlight on the importance of telling powerful stories, establishing fresh perspectives and amplifying dynamic voices. Attendees were then treated to a star-studded show demonstrating a vast array of brands, talent and content across Warner Bros. Discovery. The show concluded with a special performance from Hudson.
“Warner Bros. Discovery is a new, unparalleled player in the marketplace. With an engaging and sought after portfolio that, year-to-date, is on par with the companies that own the four broadcast networks combined in Primetime, we have an unmatched offering that sets us and our clients apart,” said Steinlauf. “We are home to the industry’s most trusted brands, and our viewers come to us for inspiration, giving us the distinctive ability to follow the consumer journey from awareness to activation and use that knowledge to curate tailored advertising solutions.”
In addition to Steinlauf and Zaslav, Warner Bros. Discovery executive leadership who presented at the event included Kathleen Finch, Chairman and Chief Content Officer, U.S. Networks Group; Chris Licht, Chairman and CEO, CNN Worldwide; and JB Perrette, CEO and President, Global Streaming and Interactive.
During the event, the company unveiled its 2022-23 programming highlights across linear, streaming and digital platforms. Guests heard from leadership and talent across brands such as Adult Swim, Cartoon Network, CNN, discovery+, Discovery Channel, Food Network, HBO Max, HGTV, Magnolia, OWN, TLC, TNT, TBS and truTV. In addition to Hudson, on-stage talent (in order of appearance) included Shaun Robinson, Grant Hill, Anderson Cooper, Bobby Flay, Chip and Joanna Gaines, Shaquille O’Neal, Wayne Gretzky, Pedro Martinez, Jonathan Scott, Lil Jon, John Cena, Nicole Byer, Mike Rowe, Shaun White, Mindy Kaling, Andy Garcia, Gloria Estefan and Lizzo.
Key takeaways that reinforced Warner Bros. Discovery’s value proposition to advertisers included:
- Warner Bros. Discovery reaches more than 230 million people every month across all of our platforms
- Nearly one third of all cable television viewers in the 25-54 demo are viewing Warner Bros. Discovery’s U.S., ad-supported entertainment networks each night
- Seven times over the last two months, Warner Bros. Discovery had over a 50 share of cable viewing, attributed to sports and hit shows
- 80% of streaming audiences watch HBO Max and discovery+ on their TV screens and half are cord cutters, extending the reach of advertisers into non-cable homes
- Viewers are upscale, well-educated and diverse within major demographics; most affluent viewers are Boomers and Gen Xers 50+ who account for over half of U.S. consumer spending
- Advanced advertising tools are available across streaming and linear platforms; Addressable ads are in 60% of all Pay TV households
- Premiere package offers advertisers lower CPM than broadcast and on average 55% more GRPs and 23% more reach; Across brands, Warner Bros. Discovery offers 500 premiere hours of programming every month*
- In a recent study by EDO, 10 of the top 25 best-performing shows on search, in all of TV, aired on Warner Bros. Discovery networks
- HBO Max and discovery+ are leading the consumer experience with ad-light tiers, with less than four minutes of commercials per hour on average
- Warner Bros. Discovery is developing a multi-currency marketplace to offer measurement solutions that benefit all clients
- Partnering with the marketing and creative studios team, advertisers can develop and amplify their campaigns with custom partnerships that connect client brands to Warner Bros. Discovery brands to become part of the content experience
- Advertisers can reach audiences at the moment of inspiration with shoppable messages
Showcasing the company’s extensive content offerings, programming announcements tied to this year’s Upfront included:
- CNN Releases First Look and Announces CNN Original Series Eva Longoria: Searching for Mexico Will Debut Exclusively On CNN
- Adult Swim Delves Into the Anime Multiverse with New Series Orders for Rick and Morty: The Anime and Ninja Kamui
- Discovery+ and Travel Channel are the Premier Destinations for Paranormal, True Horror and the Real Stories of the Unknown
- ID and Discovery+ Offer Up a Gripping True Crime Slate with Powerful New Series & Specials, Reboots of Fan-Favorite Classics, Returning Hit Series, and Podcasts Among its Expansive Array of Offerings
- Turner Sports’ Presentation of Capital One’s The Match – Wednesday, June 1, at 6:30 p.m. ET – to be Simulcast on TNT, truTV and HLN with International Distribution Through Warner Bros. Discovery Sports
- Sacha Baron Cohen, Greg Daniels, Mike Judge and Michael Koman to Develop Animated Comedy Special, Chelm: The Smartest Place on Earth, For HBO Max and Cartoon Network
- truTV Drafts the Funniest Athletes in Semi-Professional Football for All-New Reality Series “Semi Pro,” Where Gridiron Dreams Never Die
- Robert Downey Jr. Transforms Classic Cars Into Eco-Friendly Green Machines In New Series Coming to Discovery+
- Magnolia Network Linear Launch Shattered Records in First Quarter, Continues to Expand Programming Slate
- MotorTrend Group’s Robust Cross-Platform 2022-23 Programming Slate Energizes and Strengthens Fans’ Connection to the Motoring World
- Discovery+ Celebrates Pride Month With the Premiere of Three New Series and Launch of “Always Proud” Content Hub
- HGTV and Food Network Tout Dozens of Fresh Series and Returning Favorites Under New President Jane Latman
- Discovery+ in Production on ‘The Culpos’ (Working Title) Following the Lives of Model and Celebrity Entrepreneur Sisters Olivia, Sophia and Aurora Culpo
- Same Joy. More Ride. Dax Shepard, Rob Corddry and Jethro Bovingdon Jump in the Driver’s Seat For a New Season of TOP GEAR AMERICA Only on MotorTrend+
- HBO Max and Cartoon Network Greenlight Two Original Specials Based on the Beloved Mattel American Girl Franchise
- HBO Max Expands Kids & Family Live-Action Slate with Acquisitions Hank Zipzer, My Babysitter’s a Vampire, and a New Season of Cult Teen Dance Drama, The Next Step
- Go Inside the Controversial and Shocking Trial of Charles “Chase” Merritt For the McStay Family Murders in ID’s New Seven-Part Docuseries TWO SHALLOW GRAVES
- Josh Gates Returns With Action-Packed Night of Adventure Every Wednesday on Discovery Beginning Wednesday, May 25
*1Q22 by month, Primetime 8-11pm. Premiere hours include everything excluding repeats. All WBD nets excluding CNN, HLN, Motor Trend, Magnolia, HBO & US Hispanic nets.
About Warner Bros. Discovery
Warner Bros. Discovery (NASDAQ: WBD) is a leading global media and entertainment company that creates and distributes the world’s most differentiated and complete portfolio of content and brands across television, film and streaming. Available in more than 220 countries and territories and 50 languages, Warner Bros. Discovery inspires, informs and entertains audiences worldwide through its iconic brands and products including: Discovery Channel, discovery+, CNN, DC, Eurosport, HBO, HBO Max, HGTV, Food Network, OWN, Investigation Discovery, TLC, Magnolia Network, TNT, TBS, truTV, Travel Channel, MotorTrend, Animal Planet, Science Channel, Warner Bros. Pictures, Warner Bros. Television, Warner Bros. Games, New Line Cinema, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies, Discovery en Español, Hogar de HGTV and others. For more information, please visit www.wbd.com.