Warner Bros. Discovery Announces Roster of Advertising Solutions for Agencies and Brands Ahead of Max Streaming Platform Launch on May 23
Warner Bros. Discovery today announced the full suite of advertising solutions that will be available on the ad-supported tier of Max, the enhanced streaming service set to launch on May 23. The announcement, made during the company’s annual Upfront presentation at The Theater at Madison Square Garden, detailed a robust variety of advertising capabilities that are rooted in a data-driven, consumer-first approach that will allow agency and brand partners to connect with highly engaged viewers in a premium environment.
As with HBO Max currently, Max will continue to offer one of the industry’s lightest ad loads and will bring together the best-performing ad formats from HBO Max and discovery+ into one elegant and seamless experience that benefits consumers and brands alike. The ad products will utilize learnings from both platforms to offer non-disruptive viewing while driving meaningful, full-funnel impact for advertisers.
The advertising philosophy for Max is driven by a framework that allows brands to reach, reward and interact with consumers in unique and effective ways. Ad products include:
- Reach – Scale messages through standard video and high-impact moments:
- Traditional Pre-roll Video – Pre-Roll ads (15 seconds) play before selected content begins.
- Traditional Mid-Roll Video – Mid-Roll ads play during content playback during mid-roll ad breaks. They are typically 15 or 30 second video commercials that run as part of a 30 or 60 second ad pod.
- Takeovers – Allows an advertiser to be the first ad all users see on the platform for one day, with ownership of the pre-roll and first Mid-Roll ad in each consumer’s first stream.
- Reward – Reward consumers with an enhanced viewing experience with fewer interruptions:
- Brand Block – Brand Block enables one brand to exclusively own every ad moment within a piece of content.
- InFront – InFront allows brands to sponsor an exclusive ad-free experience for viewers by eliminating all mid-roll advertising. In exchange, viewers will watch ads before content playback begins.
- Interact – Leverage engagement-based products that inspire consumers to take action:
- Pause Ads – Pause Ads are elegant static ads that render on screen when a customer initiates a pause.
- Interactive Ads – Users will be served a mid-roll ad where they can interact with the ad. These formats include:
- One-Click Reveal – Reveal a surprise message, promotion, or trivia answer upon scrolling.
- Carousel – Curated ad experience where brands can showcase multiple products.
- Extendable – Users are able to open up a branded hub on their mobile or connected TV device to interact further with the ad in an immersive fashion.
- Locator – Encourages in-store purchases by informing viewers of nearby merchants.
“WBD has a proven track record launching two successful streaming platforms and delivering a precise combination of ad products for maximum efficacy. We’ve had a wide array of advertisers across categories align with our premium storytelling to create impactful brand partnerships,” said Jon Steinlauf, Chief U.S. Advertising Sales Officer at Warner Bros. Discovery. Warner Bros. Discovery. “Audiences want to get together to watch our programming as the stories unfold so they can be a part of the conversation. The depth and diversity of our stories on Max brings viewers you can’t find anywhere else.”
“Max provides advertisers with innovative ad products and access to the most premium brands and content in the video industry, while also rewarding our customers with one of the lightest ad loads in streaming, an incredible win-win,” said JB Perrette, President & CEO, Global Streaming & Games at Warner Bros. Discovery. “We rely on data and tech, along with a long history of expertise in advertising to serve innovative and non-traditional ads to targeted adult audiences in ways that minimize disruption to storytelling.”
Max will deliver unparalleled quality content for everyone in the household. With a personalized user experience that brings unique and unexpected stories ranging from the best of unscripted to the highest quality in scripted programming, family-friendly content, HBO, WB Movies, Max Originals, the DC Universe, food, home, and documentaries, Max curates one-of-a-kind stories for every moment, every feeling, every you.
Subscribers will have the choice to select which plan best fits the needs of their household. Max with Ads will be available for $9.99/month or $99.99/year. Customers can pre-register for Max on the Google Play Store or pre-order on the Apple App Store now.